Viability of the 3-Chip dSLR Rumor

Oleh:  pramana sudiro (30467)    18 tahun yang lalu

Rumor yang menarik di sini:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=18070650

berikut kutipannya:

ImagenCientifica wrote:

> The new E-3?: new PRO body, Three sensors NMOS whith 7,2 Mp each
> ( R,G,B ) (total 21,6 MP), 5 fps, image stabilization...

In the past, Olympus spokesmen have said they would produce a new type of camera which is possible only with 4/3rds - which I interpret to mean a design style which can't be copied by Canon and Nikon. I'm guessing this is a hint at a 3 sensor chip dSLR.

Minolta produced a 3-chip dSLR called the RD-175 ten years ago, which was a good and competitive product at the time. But this camera was doomed because the maximum aperture it could achieve was f/6.7. The legacy 35mm film camera lenses this camera used had focal lengths which were way too long for the 3 tiny little 6.4mm x 4.8mm video camera CCDs employed by the dSLR. Relay optics inside the camera body were necessary to achieve wide viewing angles with the legacy Minolta lenses, but the relay optics cause a light transmission loss - and thus the f/6.7 maximum aperture. In summary, Minolta's development of the 3-chip dSLR stopped due to lack of an appropriately sized imaging sensor, and lack of lenses which were specifically designed for that sensor size.

Canon and Nikon could certainly build a 3-chip dSLR if they wanted to. But they would run into the same problems as Minolta. They could not use their legacy lenses without internal relay optics, which would reduce maximum aperture to a point which is uncompetitive and unacceptable in today's market.

This is where the "necessity" of the near-telecentric lens design, the focal lengths of the 4/3rds standard lenses, and the size of the 4/3rds sensor come into play. My theory is that from the beginning, Olympus planned that the ultimate design for the 4/3rds standard would be a 3-chip dSLR. All they had to do was overcome the design limitations of the Minolta RD-175, which would mean elimination of the relay optics. It would require calculating the optimal sensor dimensions for a 3-chip design - and then developing near-telecentric lenses specifically for that sensor size.

Now, there is no point in introducing a 3-chip dSLR to the market if the job is being done well enough by 1-chip dSLRs. Up to now, the performance of top-of-the-line 1-chip dSLRs from Canon and Nikon has been deemed "good enough," and the additional complexities (and new lenses) involved with a 3-chip design were "not necessary."

However, it is becoming evident that neither Canon or Nikon can increase the resolution of their 1-chip cameras without exceeding the resolving power of their lenses. Though 21 megapixel resolution can easily be achieved with the Nikon APS or Canon "full-frame" sensors, no real gains in image quality are possible without higher resolution lenses. And achieving higher resolution, digital specific lenses may force a redesign of their film legacy lens mounts.

21 megapixels resolution in a 3-chip Olympus E-3 is ideal for marketing. This not only exceeds the best available from Canon and Nikon, but also encroaches into the "medium format" territory of the 22 megapixel Mamiya ZD and the 18 megapixel Pentax digital 645. Now, this is where the Olympus digital specific lenses come into play. When we're talking 20+ megapixels resolution, no other manufacturers can match the lens performance of things like the Olympus 7-14mm f/4 zoom or the 90-250mm f/2.8 zoom. When the image quality and capabilities of the lenses is brought into consideration, those pro photographers who require nothing but the best will have no other choice but Olympus.

It was not me who originated the 3-chip camera rumor; I only try to explain it. Olympus has addressed the issue, and I think it has legs. Olympus has proven that they have the resolve to not say anything if they don't want to, and when they do say something in the form of press interviews, I believe those interviews are "staged." And by staged, I mean they provide the magazine reporter a list of questions they would like to be asked - and then answer only those questions with carefully crafted answers. In a recent interview the issue of a 3-chip dSLR came up, and not surprisingly the Oly rep said "no comment." But my question is, why would Olympus desire to be asked about a 3-chip camera to begin with - if there was nothing to it? Here's the interview link, with the 3-chip question toward the end:

http://www.quesabesde.com/... .../Olympus-E-330-Yoshiyuki-Nada,1_en_2256

Re: Viability of the 3-Chip dSLR Rumor

Oleh: Radix R (2382)    18 tahun yang lalu

ah kak Pram....
:D

Oleh:  Arie Lendra Putra, ST (20556)    18 tahun yang lalu

hmm.. saya sampai sekarang masih suka dengan technology Foveon X3...
kenapa ya nggak berkembang lagi.. :-?

padahal bagus loh..
dari ketajaman dan lain2..
intinya kan 3 sensor jg.. R G dan B..
malah nggak perlu relay optic..

Coba Canon dan Nikon pindah ke technologi ini..
keren..
Sigma masalahnya nggak ada in-camera JPEG sih dan .. masih rendah efektif MPnya.. usable cuman 3MP..meski overall 9MP...

Oleh:  Kurnia Wijaya (22855)    18 tahun yang lalu

Asik
probody
pro lens... he he he

tp gak tahun ini
mungkin tahun depan......